Wednesday, September 9, 2009

The Weekend Rollercoaster

has finally ended I believe. Ugh. Where to even begin.

Saturday afternoon while we waited for Grandma B to arrive, Dave posted the car online for sale with pictures. Blue Book value was $1690 so we were asking for $1800. We wouldn't be needing the car anymore since Grandma B was driving us out the Honda CRV to buy since Grandpa B passed away and she didn't need two vehicles. Eventually Grandma B and Aunt D arrived around 7PM night.

Things were good with their drive, the girls were happy to see them, we were starving from waiting for them to arrive... you know- the usual. That night we stayed up chatting after the girls went to sleep. It was nice and relaxing.

Sunday morning we woke up and ate breakfast. Grandma B mentioned she wanted to go to the Pier in SF so we packed a few snacks for the girls and jumped in the truck. We had to take BART in since the bridge was closed for the holiday weekend so we packed extremely lightly with our one big double stroller. Once we arrived Dave saw that there was a spin the wheel for a prize thing right at the beginning of the Pier. He spun along with everyone else. We all got half off or free tickets to the aquarium. Cool. We always wanted to go but it is so expensive we never did. Good job Dave.

So after playing in the aquarium we went to lunch where the girls danced with the waitresses.
Olivia ate garlic mussels with Grandma B.

Then we took the girls through the Rainforest Cafe, went to the big chocolate store, bought treats, headed back to the pier to see the seals, bought more goodies and headed back towards BART. We were out all day. As soon as we started our walk back to the BART Ava was asleep. Olivia claimed she was gonna have the throw ups (wonderful I know) so she wanted to be carried. After a few feet Dave said she had to sit in the stroller too. He was never gonna make it. Olivia sullen complained the whole way to the BART about not wanting to be in the stroller like a baby. Sitting in a stroller = baby. Whining the entire way- let's not say priceless ok. So I make the promise that when we get through the gate at the BART she can get out. What I didn't know was when she got out and we had to pile on BART everyone and their mother was also piling on BART.

In essence we survived. We made it a few stops and most of the people poured out of the doors like cattle and then we all had seats for our long journey home. Once home Dave asked me if anyone called about the car. No they didn't. "What about email.?." He asked.

"Haven't checked... will do tomorrow when I print out your mom's boarding passes."

We all ate dinner, sat around watching the dogs play, got really sleepy and went to bed at like 9PM. Yea... come to our house- we are a barrel of laughs and totally entertaining.

Got up Monday morning and decided since Grandma B and Aunt D were flying out to Denver later in the evening we would go have a picnic lunch at the park. We packed a very lovey lunch, a blanket, the works. We get to the park and there is hardly anyone there.

This was great since the rides were empty the girls didn't have to wait and they could ride as often as they wanted. What a great day right? A perfect end to to a nice family visit? WRONG. If you had that thought at all you are completely WRONG.
This are the last smiles before the chaos began...

After our nice picnic lunch, Dave and the gang headed to the train for a ride while I went to put the blanket and other non-essentials back in the truck. As we are starting to separate we hear over the speaker that a window has been smashed out of a WHITE suburban. Phew. They said white. So we went our separate ways. Except I knew that people are idiots and would confuse white with SILVER and it was my truck that was smashed to blitherines. And then my thoughts were validated when I made it to the exit and a man comes running up to tell the announcer it was not a white but silver suburban... of course it was.

My first thought was to pray the vandals were not inside trying to steal the whole damn truck, then upon finding it empty I was just thankful that I still had the truck minus what used to be a very useful window.

I looked inside, glass was everywhere but nothing seemed to be out of place. The glove box wasn't opened, Cd's were still in the holder, the Kleenex box was still sitting where I last slid it the last time I used a tissue. Stupid kids breaking windows for fun. Thanks Assclowns.

So this woman from the park runs out and looks horrified telling me she will help me clean it up. She asked if I want the police to come but the insurance deductible is about the same as the price for a new window so I declined. I told her I just needed to get this cleaned up as much as possible before my kids came out as well as my family. I didn't need it to look any worse than it already was. I was trying to maintain a nice pleasant composure as I swore inside, I really can't afford to replace a stupid window. I was also hoping that maybe I could get all the glass cleaned up before anyone noticed I was gone so it didn't seem as big of a deal as it felt inside my body. But you know- apparently when I think things can't get any worse it gets dramatically worse.

From the train, Dave apparently spies me at the truck with all the doors open. He questions what the heck I'm doing. Then he sees a woman running towards me with a broom. He makes the connection that it was OUR SUBURBAN and he grabs everyone and they coming running out. Little did I know Grandma B had left her purse under the seat behind the tissue box. I see them coming, screaming "my purse" and I look at Dave and he asked me if his mom's purse is still under the seat.

"I didn't know it was left there and the Kleenex hadn't been moved from what I saw. I was trying to remove the glass."

No purse. More screaming. "This is an emergency, who do we call? We need the police. Mom, your DL is in your purse- how are we going to get on the plane.?." Aunt D screeched. Dave runs off to go find the purse hopefully tossed in a trash can, the kids are left sitting there sandwiched between two frantic women, and I'm standing in a pool of glass and some of my blood. I can't clean up the glass and watch the kids. I ask Dave to focus and get the girls some water, take them to the potty, and get them out of the situation, back into the park and away from the incident. I do not feel kids should ever witness crime or the end result of it. To me, the kids were the most important thing over a purse. They need to be safe and feel safe. Being frantic doesn't give them security. Honestly, it bothered me that everyone pushed the girls aside but it is what it is and it is over now. So Dave and the girls played at the park, G & D cancelled credit cards and spoke with the police, I cleaned the glass up and filed my police report and we headed home. So much for a nice day out.

When we got back Dave and I discussed him driving the car we were trying to sell until I could get the side window fixed in the suburban and I would drive just to preschool on Tuesday for Olivia's class picture and first school photo (which turned out really cute BTW) in the Honda since it also needed a new windshield and we didn't want him to get a fix it ticket on the way to work. How can you have 3 vehicles and only one with all the windows you ask? I know it's impressive.

After a few minutes I went upstairs, I turned on the computer to print the plane tickets and I wanted to check the email. Someone actually responded to our ad for the car and they wanted to know what model it was. I sent back LX and a minute later the phone rang. They wanted to come look at the car. Typically this would be good news selling a car a day after you post it except we now needed the car and Dave had to drop his family off at the airport. I told the guy he could come by after the airport run and we cleaned everything out of the car. The guy offered us $1500. We said $1600 and S.O.L.D. Yesterday, Dave drove it to get smogged, the guy returned with the cash, we transferred over the pink slip, and C'est la vie the car is gone. Thankfully the mobile glass replacement guy came in the mean time and gave us our pretty new windows so we are back in action and driving again. All in the same day too. Can you believe it?Later my parents stopped by to drop off some more stuff for the hot tub, a fire pit, and some veggies from their garden. We went to dinner and they left for their hotel to fly to Maui the next morning. We ran and threw the kids in bed and made a mad dash for the hot tub and went to bed. We needed to get off of this stinkin' ride sometime.

As for Dave's mom she had no trouble getting on her plane. The crooks had charged up 4 of her credit cards, one at the gas station, one at the Wendy's next to the gas station, once for $12 down the road from the park, and $500 at Macy's before they were cut off. Everything will be removed from her cards, but she lost her keys and her cell phone and all of her medical cards, SS cards, that kind of stuff that takes awhile to get back. But the bottom line is that no one was physically hurt and "stuff" can be replaced.

Today has been mundane. I swore we were going to sit around in our underpants doing nothing and that was pretty much what we did besides a few puzzles and board games.

Memories. The foundation of a lifetime.

No comments: