Sunday, November 27, 2011

Thanks-we'll give it back

How it should be:

This was how it started out- Olivia's last day at school and her birthday before the Holiday break. The kids ate a Thanksgiving Feast and had a birthday celebration for Olivia.
Olivia ran and played and had FUN.
And then she was stuffed like a turkey.
And here the kids sang happy birthday.
Of course Ava's last day was great too. She came out of class wearing her papoose complete with baby.
These two were ready to tackle Thanksgiving.
How it really was:

Thanksgiving sucked. That is all there was to it. I'd like to write a cheery post on how great it was and how it was so much better than last year with Grandma B being hospitalized and all. But no- this one sucked too and we have all come to an agreement that we are OVER that stupid day and we will be eating Chinese food.

So here's the lowdown. Ava was sick in the early part of the week. Grandma B arrived late Tuesday night. Wednesday Olivia and Gavin start the sniffles. Thursday I wake up with the sneezes, snots, and itchy face. See where I'm going with this? All day I feel like hell but I toughed it out making the stupid dinner. Rachael calls saying she can't come over 5 minutes before dinner because Nick had a fever and now says he's going to barf. I check Olivia- fever. Gavin- fever. Me- gonna get drunk like my life depends on it all the while just wishing I could A) stop sneezing and blowing my nose B) breath and C) do so while laying down.

So now the stupid bird is out of the stupid oven (not burned liked last either) and as Dave approaches the table he says his stomach aches- REALLY?? I mean that with as much sarcasm as there is in the world. So we sit down, eat enough food to fake it like we are all really happy and thankful while we are all really thinking, "I'd be thankful to get away from this freakin' table and go lay down." And then the kids get their medicine, I take my medicine, poor Gavin suffers from ongoing snot, and Dave says his head now hurts. Grandma B all the while still feeling good. It was her turn last year.

That black Thursday night we had some midnight online shopping to do so instead of going to sleep we stayed awake. We bought the gifts we wanted and went to bed. The baby was up all. night. long. Yea for me. Friday morning Dave goes to pick up a few doorbuster items and comes home again saying his stomach hurt as well as his head. How many times did I offer to take him to Kaiser during this day- almost every hour but he said he was fine. Again around 6PM I said, "Let me take you now so we don't have to do this in the middle of the night." Nope.

Fast forward to 9:30PM. Gavin finally asleep on top of me. The sugarplums are snug in their bed. Movie playing on Blueray and then I hear the famous words of last year, "I need to go to the ER RIGHT NOW!!!" Of course you do you fool. So since I'm draining and sneezing and Gavin's finally given up trying to fight his cold Grandma B goes with the fool who had to drive himself to the hospital. Upon arriving promptly he tells them he's going to barf and he is admitted at once. They call me and let me know he's getting a cat scan shortly and then an hour later I get the good news. "Amee?" Donna asked.
"David's having surgery at 6AM. He has an acute appendicitis."

Of course he does. Because what would be this miserable Thanksgiving weekend without carving up one of our family members.

Yip. Apparently that's how we roll. Oh and Grandma B called from Colorado. Guess what? She's sick.

No comments: